Earlier this year, some parents of home-schooled children asked me to teach their children a course in U.S. history. I gladly accepted the invitation. We just finished our first semester, so I thought I would share with my readers some of the questions that appeared on the final test. Here is a sample of some of the more simple questions that my high school home schoolers answered:
1. What was the name of the ship the Pilgrims used to come to America?
2. What words were written across the sails of this ship?
3. Who founded the state of Rhode Island?
4. What was America's first college?
5. In what year did the "Stamp Act" become law?
6. When was the shot fired that started the Revolutionary War?
7. What significant event happened on August 2, 1776?
8. Who is called "The Father of the U.S. Constitution?"
9. What three men wrote "The Federalist Papers?"
10. The Bill of Rights was adopted on what date?
One of the most fundamental elements of a strong America is people's knowledge of our own history. Without a basic knowledge of American history, we are extremely ignorant of the principles of a free society and are, therefore, incapable of perpetuating them. Sadly, the indicators are many that these sacred principles are truly lost to this generation of Americans.
Only a familiarity with, and a reverence for, America's founding principles can provide the understanding and resolve to guide the ship of state through the tumultuous waters of modern storms. This requires studious attention to America's magnificent history.
Let your search for the answers to the above questions be the launching pad for a lifelong journey into the glorious history and heritage of the greatest nation to ever exist on planet earth: The United States of America!
© Chuck Baldwin
This column is archived as http://www.chuckbaldwinlive.com/c2001/cbarchive_20011109.html
*If you appreciate this column and want to help me distribute these editorial opinions to an ever-growing audience, donations may be made by credit card, check, or Money Order. Use this link:
Chuck Baldwin Live Donate Form
I also have many books and DVDs available for purchase online. Go here:
Chuck Baldwin Live Store